Popeye was definitely onto something – He would literally down a can of spinach whenever he needed any strength or energy instantly. His muscles would pop out and Olive Oil’s eyes would pop out of her head ogling him as he beat up on Bluto.
First question, is Spinach really that awesome? Second question, have you EVER seen Spinach in a can? Third question, with muscles like that, shouldn’t he have hooked up with Jessica Rabbit instead?
How does Roger Rabbit get with her? I don’t know how that works out! Its not even fair! But I digress – back to Spinach!
5 REASONS WHY YOU SHOULD EAT SPINACH!
- High Nutrient Density – Very low in calories yet very high in vitamins, minerals and other phytonutrients. If you are planning on losing weight, one of the things to look for is foods that provide a TON of nutrients with a small amount of calories – Spinach fits this perfectly!
- Readily Available – Easy to find worldwide, most of the year, NO EXCUSES!
- Versatility -Can be eaten raw in a salad, it definitely has more nutrients than the typical iceberg lettuce.It can be boiled or sauteed in a little oil. You can add spinach to egg whites for a healthy omlette, or add cooked spinach to a bean salad for a tasty nutritional boost.
- Anti-cancer! – Researchers have discovered at least 13 different flavonoids with anti cancer compounds especially effective against prostate, skin, colon, and bone cancer.
- BRAIN FOOD – The vitamins in spinach may help protect the brain from age related declines. A 2005 study in the Journal of Experimental Neurology showed that rats fed diets highin spinach and blueberries lost a lot fewer brain cells after a stroke and recovered significantly more than rats that weren’t on the same diet! The best part? In order to gain these benefits, the rats only ate 2% of their diet in spinach and blueberries!
Cooking Spinach is simple – as long as it is washed and chopped first!
Garlic Sauteed Spinach
1) Heat up a saucepan
2) Drizzle with oil
3) Add Spinach and let it wilt a bit before you add more
4) Add in about 1 tablespoon of chopped garlic after the Spinach wilts a bit
5) Season with salt and pepper and you are done!
Sexy Garlic Sauteed Spinach
1) Follow 1st recipe
THEN . . .
2) Add in 1/4 cup sliced red onion
3) Add in 1/4 cup of dried cranberries
4) Add in 1 can of Black Beans (drained and rinsed)
5) Add in 1/4 cup diced tomato
See? Its simple! Add Spinach to your omlettes in the morning, or be creative and make a salad!
There really is no excuse! Try it out and see the wonders it works for your body! If it can do it for a one eyed sailor, Im sure it will work for you too!